Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happy 90th Birthday Grandma!!!!

I know my grandma died a few weeks ago and you all probably don't want to keep reading about her, but the night she died I absolutely could not sleep and memories of her kept popping into my head, so I started writing them down and they just kept coming. My aunt Linda read some of them at the funeral, but here's all of them(plus I wanted to type them up and put them in my journal).
Anyways, about 2 summers ago I was spending the night up at my grandmas with her, my Linda, Melinda and my Uncle Dave and Aunt Ruth and I think John was there to. It was on a weekend, which was so fun. That was a really good weekend. Anyways, so I took my dad's laptop and the scanner up with me and scanned a ton of pictures.
So here are some random pictures and the things I remember about my grandma(she would have turned 90 this week). (I think these are her parents, but I'm not sure)
She always remembered our birthdays
She always wrote letters back(great pen pal- weekly letters).
She acknowledged- everything- graduations, baby blessings, eagles, baptisms, weddings, missions, all the church achievements(young women's, duty to God, etc)
(her wedding day, she made her dress)
She loved to sew for her family(knitting, quilting)
She always gave us New Years eve presents- notebooks and pens and wrote a note inside the notebook(I think I might have one still, somewhere in storage)
She was very resourceful with wrapping presents(in cereal boxes, cracker boxes)
She was a really good cook
(my grandpa and grandma)
She was a very faithful church member
She loved the temple and loved working there
She loved canning
She had really neat handwriting(unique)
She loved her family so much
She played the piano

(random pictures- wedding, temple work, military)
She made really good/interesting treats to send out for the holidays
She helped her kids in any way she could
She loved writing for the newspaper
I loved her stories about how she met grandpa, her life with her family in Idaho
She was a very strong woman
I loved how she always pinned her hair up before going to bed.

My dad's family- Linda, my dad, Ruethella, Dave
grandpa and grandma, Mary
If anyone can think of other memories, let me know.

4 comments:

Jessie said...

That is really neat! Thank you for sharing.. I sure have been missing her...

Ann said...

I had never seen some of those pictures. I am glad you posted them!

Unknown said...

Wow, I haven't seen most of these! Thanks!

HaroldandLoretta said...

You can write about your grandma as much as you like. I love your spiritual thoughts about her, and I am thankful you are writing them down. I love your pictures. I love you!!!! Lots of hugs, Sister Hinton